How to Upgrade in the Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Static leveling. There should be difficult enemies and easy enemies, good items and bad items, not everything just scaled to your level when you meet it or pick it up. You can't even do one of the very first Thieve's Guild quests in Skyrim, for example, until you're level 46+ unless you want a weaker version of Chillrend (one of the strongest swords you can pick up in the game) because the item scales to your level the second you enter the building. I want static leveling more than anything to make the world feel somewhat real.


What other push should there be to level up though? Sure, you may unlock new perks etc. when you level up, but if the point of these isn't to make you stronger, they're really just new cool-looking animations on your screen... What is the incentive even in leveling up if enemies just scale to your level anyway? There should be hard areas with great loot that I wouldn't dare to try to go until after I was strong enough. When I can finally achieve that, its rewarding.

I never realized how bad it was in Skyrim until I actually started making characters that do smithing, alchemy, and enchanting and using the Hearthfire DLC. By the end game I'm spending like 30 minutes every time I play sorting through my inventory and running around my house storing different items in different containers. It's tedious and annoying to sort out when I just want to go out and play the game.

Cinematic storytelling and imagination can work together. Contrary to popular belief, I think the cinematic style in Skyrim works perfectly for an action RPG like ES. However, I miss the imagination from Morrowind. There is no reason why the two cannot be compatible, or even complimentary.

We don't have to be the hero (yet.) Skyrim was too boring because we were epic by the time we killed our first dragon, and it really sucked a lot of the fun building up to be somebody. It would've been better to have discovered to be the Dragonborn after already establishing yourself as a badass.

Skyrim did combat right, except for two things. Skyrim's combat was the best IMO, but it needed the ability to cast magic with melee/ranged, and more dodge abilities. I don't want to just swing and block until whatever is dead. Furthermore, have some weak spots while you are at it for further tactical play.

Some "brokenness" is fine. Perhaps a hot take, but Morrowind was awesome when it allowed you to break the game a little bit with allowing you to go SANIC after drinking 500 potions of athletics. Maybe not to the extreme of Morrowind, but it would be cool to go above and beyond sometimes. Better yet if the game can respond to such acts in a fun way, perhaps reward/punish it. Sometimes we will get eso gold.

Comments