I Never Thought I’d Say This But ESO Beats WOW In Just About Ever Way Now

I was a long time WOW player. I haven’t played WOW in a while I’ll admit that but when I left WOW i don’t think it was as good as ESO is now. The two things that really kept ESO from WOW status in my eyes have been address in total ESO fashion. That’s the battlegrounds that came last year with Morrowind and now the itemization which has reached all new heights with its possibles due to summersets jewelry crafting and, almost as important, the change to 2 handed weapons now counting as 2 pieces of a set. What makes this so impressive is because instead of doing the safe thing and copying WOW to the T they set out on their own to make their own MMO experience and in the end it made it a far superior game to me.

I can’t agree with you on the classes though at least based on when I played. Back then it seemed like their was one effective way to spec you character in each of the tree skill lines and that was it. It had the effect of making everyone seem as though they were playing the same characters. I love the variety that ESO offers. For me personally I love it when theirs a lot to play around with. Instead of talent trees and limited number of points they give you a limited number of ability slots. I can see the arguments for and against it though and why some people who enjoy something like WOW better it just for me the freedom makes it a bit more fun.

The absolute worst part about WOW however at least I played was the grind. Leveling up a new character was God awful. You had to start in the beginner zones, you didn’t get any good loot and the quest were nothing more than a wall of text that you acceptable without really knowing what’s going on. The actual task of the quest were monotonous. Go here, kill 40 bears etc, rinse and repeat. Then to almost assured that you character pool was limited you had to keep up with the game content progression so you didn’t get left behind. rolling a new character was such a chore even if you didn’t mind experiencing the bland old world. I’m sure they’ve changed a lot of that or at least I hope they have. Hopefully they have fully voiced quest now. I think it’s to much to ask for them to make the world feel alive the way it does in ESO but those other two things they should have been address long ago. That was another thing I didn’t like. The world was boring for the most part. It had it’s moment at times but in general if you missed 90% of it you wouldn’t be missing out.

Honestly I’d love to see how WOW is these day. I’m sure it’s evolved and I use to love it. I use to never believe that ESO would be one I’d consider to be a better game. I thought Star Wars maybe but ESO was just to odd and for a long time pretty boring. ESO wasn’t a game that came running out of the gates like WOW did or even Star Wars. It took the more slow and steady pace building on a pretty ambitious idea. Sometimes with ESO it kind of feels like things kind of fell together the way they did not by planning for it to be like that but adjusting various attributes of the game as time went on. WOW definitely felt as though there was way more concrete ideas and development in this is how the game should be.

The character customization in this game is insane. Unlike WOW where it seemed like every class had one or two effective specs that you almost had to follow, ESO has numerous possibilities to create your own play style in each of the 5 classes. Now with the itemization being unlocked for more creative freedom due to being able to use any 2 five piece sets and an undaunted two piece sets I believe ESO has surpassed WOW in that regard as well. It’s certainly the first time I’ve felt excited about loot in this game. For a long time it just seemed like they would just randomly throw new sets in the game all the time with no real purpose or goal to any of it. The crazy amount of sets I use to believe over saturated the game especially considering their were only a certain number of them that people would actually use because their effectiveness couldn’t be matched but now that we have three different ways to try different combinations I think it just adds a layer I depth to something that I use to think was madness. It also totally fits with how ESO is as a whole where creativity and personal experience of the player is valued above everything else.

Truly to me this game is the best MMO I’ve played in its current state. I’ve been on the game since it launched and it has been a bumpy ride.

Comments